ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3.1
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 64GB kit
Intel Core i7-5820K CPU not overclocked
EVGA nVidia 1070
Seasonic PSU (don’t know the exact model off hand)
Samsung EVO 870 NVME PCIe 500GB SSD
Samsung 850 500GB x2 in RAID0 using Intel RAID Controller
SanDisk 960GB SSD plugged into Intel Controller
Corsair K95 RGB keyboard with Cherry-MX Red switches
Logitech G700s using Logitech Gaming Software version 9.2
I have been fighting with trying to find the root cause of this issue where my mouse cursor will suddenly start stuttering and lagging as you move it around the screen. The entire computer starts to lag as well including watching video and audio. I thought I had it narrowed down to either some kind of USB issue with my motherboard (ASUS Rampage V Extreme. I’m not so sure now. When it starts is completely random. I can get task manager to open, but there isn’t any process that can be seen using up system resources to the point that it would make my system lag.
It just happened about five minutes ago while I was browsing Outlook and also Google Chrome. I had a ton of stuff open, but I have 64 GB of memory and an NVME Samsung EVO PCIe SSD. I opened task manager and could not see anything out of the ordinary except for Google Chrome 64-Bit using around 4 GB of memory. But again, I have 64 GB, and 4 GB shouldn’t even make a dent on that amount of available memory plus the added PCIe NVME SSD.
I started to ALT+F4 all the windows that were open and surprisingly after I got through all the windows the mouse lag/stutter stopped. I can’t say for sure which program that was closed caused it to stop the stuttering. The next time it happens, I will try to go slower and kill each window one by one until the mouse stutter stops.
I also have a Logitech mouse and have seen this weird issue when you use Windows faster user switching and have two people logged, and the lcore.exe process is running within two user’s accounts. But I don’t think it’s related to the lcore.exe process because I’ve had a hotkey to kill the process while it was happening and it did not cause the stuttering to stop.
Feel free to comment below if you have the same problem.
I seem to have narrowed it down to possibly being VMWare Workstation’s USB driver that is causing this to occur. I can’t say 100% certainty, but I’m very close. I’ll keep working on this and will update the post as time goes on.
Doesn’t appear to be related to VMWare Workstation. Tonight I found that my workstation at my office is doing the same thing. It seems like it happens after the computer has been on for a few days with no reboot. I could easily reproduce the issue by opening task manager while Chrome was open. I did this at home and left it while I went out for a bit and came back, and the mouse was still lagging/stuttering/freezing/jumping around the screen.
I’m not any closer to fixing this, but I did go ahead and disable pretty much everything that isn’t necessary and am trying to reproduce the issue again. I might have to wait a few days before it shows itself again which is infuriating.
I disable the vast majority of the software that starts on my computer and started opening up hundreds of tabs within Chrome. I’ve got Chrome using up around 5GB of memory right now. Another thing I did uninstall completely was Grammarly. Grammarly latches on to everything as it tries to check your grammar so it makes sense that it might cause a lot of problems like this, but I can’t find anyone else online or through my Google-Fu that had a similar problem, so it’s likely not that.
I won’t know until I probably leave the computer on for a few days as it appears to clear up after a reboot.
Unfortunately, I am still fighting with this issue. I have tried so many things to no avail. Just today, things started to freeze up completely, and it would unfreeze every few minutes. I tried opening up Task Manager and tried killing processes, but that did not help either. I thought for a while that it was related to my SSD setup and I might be getting closer to figuring this thing out. I have a new Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500 GB drive that I installed and disconnected all other SATA SSD hard drives. For a time, things were OK. Not completely fixed, but not as bad. I attributed that to my SATA SSD hard drives failing or at least one of them that were connected. I cannot do a diagnostic on them as they’re both NFR OEM/enterprise SSD drives and Samsung Magic does not recognize them.
In any case, I am a bit bothered by how crappy my system performed. It was top of the line for when it was purchased, and I have never gone above all programs using more than fifty percent of my available memory, which is 64 GB worth.
At this point, I am thinking about buying a new motherboard, PSU and CPU and re-using my memory and video card. If that doesn’t fix it, then I guess I may be pushing my system to its limits, which I highly doubt.
This problem typically rears its head when I have had a ton of programs open along with the uptime being anywhere from one to five days without a reboot.
Within the past two weeks, I have started to experience weird freezing that occurs for a minute or two and then releases the computer, and I can do whatever it is I was doing. I have opened up the Task Manager and could see my network process using up 200+Mbps. I updated my NIC’s driver and sure enough, it sort of fixed the issue.
As of 4/8, I have once again, disabled any unnecessary startup items and disabled all non-Microsoft services to try and see how long it will take before the problem returns.
I will keep you posted.